Storm Water Illicit Discharge Hotline:
- Effective, January 1, 2013, all new impervious area (concrete,blacktop, structures or any non-vegetative area) added is subject to a $1/square foot stormwater fee.
New FEMA Flood Insurance Risk Maps are available for review in the Zoning Department
If you are in or near a flood risk area please stop in to review them or check the following website http://msc.fema.gov/portal and type the address.
Township Compliance with MS4 Program NPDES Storm Water Permit
West Manchester Township submits an Annual Report to the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection to document implementation of its Stormwater Management Program (SWMP) in accordance with the conditions of the Authorization to Discharge under its NPDES General Permit for Discharges of Stormwater from Small MS4s (PAG-13). The goal of the MS4 program is to reduce the discharge of pollutants in order to protect water quality. The Township will continue to implement requirements of the MS4 program to protect water resources in the community. Among other things, the Township:
- The latest version of the West Manchester Township Annual MS4 Report is available for review in the Township Office. This document can also be accessed online. It can be found below in the links section of this page.
- Distributes public education material to the residents and other applicable groups. This includes articles in the Township newsletters and brochures included with building and zoning permits.
- Conducts a public education meeting on the MS4 program and the Township’s implementation efforts at least one time each year.
- Inspects a minimum of 50% of the Township’s permitted storm water outfalls annually for illicit discharges.
- The Township has adopted and enforces a Stormwater Management Ordinance in accordance with the York County’s Integrated Water Resources Plan model stormwater management ordinance. Engineering review and approval of storm water management plans are required prior to the approval of all new developments.
- Enforces Township ordinances by reviewing erosion and sediment control plans. The Township also has an executed Memorandum of Understanding with the York County Conservation District for review and enforcement of erosion and sediment control measures.
You can help too. Remember that anything that goes into a storm sewer eventually drains to a stream:
- Monitor storm sewer inlets near your property. Nothing should be dumped into the storm sewer system. Call the Storm Water Hotline at 717-792-3505 Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM or contact the Police Department immediately if you witness illegal dumping.
- Clean up after your pets and dispose of their waste properly.
- Use fertilizers properly and efficiently to prevent excess runoff during a rain storm. From your lawn those fertilizers travel through the storm sewer, into the local streams, eventually into the Susquehanna River and directly into the Chesapeake Bay. In the Bay those fertilizers promote algae growth; depleting oxygen, and killing fish, crabs, and other aquatic life.
- Properly store chemicals and other materials that could contaminate water supply.
- Never change your vehicle’s oil or other fluids near the storm sewer inlets. Report any chemical spills to the Township immediately.
For more information on Stormwater, and your effect on the streams, rivers, lakes and oceans, please watch:
After the Storm (Video)
Rain gardens are an inexpensive, beautiful and low maintenance way to manage your stormwater impact.Download Rain Garden Brochure PDF
Living Green: Building Your Own Rain Barrel
Stormwater Management Links
- 2016 Regional Chesapeake Bay Pollution Reduction Plan
- 2015-2016 MS4 Annual-Progress Report (supporting documents are available at the Township Office for review)
- 2014-2015 West Manchester Township MS4 Annual Report (PDF)
- York County Conservation District
- Watershed Alliance of York
- PA DEP Water Bureau of Conservation and Restoration Stormwater Management MS4 Information
- EPA – Stormwater Outreach Materials and Reference Documents
- Chesapeake Bay Foundation PA
- WM TWP Storm Water BMP’s Details (PDF)
- Illicit Discharge Citizens Form (PDF)
- Stormwater Ordinance
- Fema Floodplain