Trash & Recycling Collection
Reminder to All Residents:
RECYCLING: West Manchester Township is mandated by Pennsylvania State Act 101 to require all residents and businesses to recycle. Therefore, West Manchester Township passed Ordinance 90-10 on August 16, 1990 requiring all residents and businesses within the township to participate in a recycling program. Recycling is unlimited and will be reported back to the township at the beginning of every year for the previous year. Please refer to the following link when recycling.Visit e360 Website for Recycling Download Penn Waste, Inc. Recycling Guidelines PDF
Please remember that needles and other “sharps” originating from the home should NOT be placed in a recycling bin OR flushed down a toilet. Residents should place all sharps in a sturdy plastic container such as a laundry detergent bottle. When full, place the container or bottle containing the sharps into the GARBAGE can, not the recycle bin. Never place loose sharps or needles in a garbage bag. Help keep our sanitation and recycling workers safe!
TRASH: Must be curbside by 6:00 AM.
- A total of two units are permitted each collection day. More than two units requires being marked with a sticker, purchased at designated locations.
- Stickers may be purchased at any Rutter’s Convenience Stores located in the Township; at the Weis Supermarkets located on White Street and Roosevelt Ave.; and the Giant Food Store, Carlisle Road. Stickers sell for $2.00 each.
- A unit is defined as a can with a water tight lid, having a capacity of not more than 32 gallons, or suitable plastic bag tied securely. Units can be no longer than four (4) feet nor weigh more than 50 pounds.
- No collections will occur on the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. If your collection falls on or after a scheduled holiday, all collections will be delayed one day. A holiday falling on a Saturday or Sunday will have no effect on your weekly collection schedule.
- Garbage should not be placed at curbside prior to 5:00 p.m. the evening preceding the scheduled day.
- Tree trimmings, hedge clippings and other organic landscape vegetation are not permitted with regular trash. Yard Waste is collected separately January through December.
- Property owners may dispose of one tire per week classified as a passenger car tire not weighing more than 50 pounds. This service is included but not in addition to the two-unit limit. Tires must be taken off the rim.
Residents may dispose of one large item on their second collection day of each week
Large Item Collection
- Large items must be within the guidelines listed below:
- Appliances (Freon Free)
- Carpet 48” maximum length, rolled & tied (3 bundle limit)
- Mattress & Box Springs
- Car Tires Only (must be off rims)
- Scrap Metal 48” maximum length
- Lawn Mowers with gasoline and motor oil removed
- Plumbing Fixtures
- Paints, stains, chemicals and liquids
- Automobile parts
- Household Hazardous Waste
- Tires on rims
- Commercial/Industrial Waste
- Construction Material or Debris (For example drywall, ceiling tiles and treated lumber)
- Ceiling Tiles
- Roofing Shingles
- Treated Lumber
All small items must be bagged.
No items which are too heavy to be lifted into a truck by two people will be accepted.
Additional trash is not considered a large item.
The next yard waste pick ups for 2018 will be March 24, April 28, May 26, June 23, July 28, August 25, September 22, October 6 & 20, November 3 & 17, and December 1 & 15. Please have your yard waste at the curbside by 6:00 am.
Residents are no longer permitted to place their brush and yard waste out for curbside collection. Brush and yard waste will be collected once a month, on the fourth Saturday, January through September with two collections per month in October through December.
Yard waste materials are defined as tree trimmings, shrubbery, and any other organic landscape vegetation. Materials should be prepared as follows:
- Place items in either biodegradable Kraft bags or loose in metal/plastic containers.
- Tied in bundles no longer than 4 feet and not more than 30 pounds. Bundles should be tied with a biodegradable material. Please do not use tape to tie your bundles.
- Branches should not exceed 12 inches in diameter.
The following items should NOT be placed out for yard waste collection:
- Grass Clippings
- Dirt or stones
- Fruits and/or vegetables
- Any material in a plastic bag
Kraft biodegradable bags are available for purchase at Lowes, B.J.”s, most lawn and garden centers and the Township Office.
Hazardous Waste Collection
Where and When:
The Annual Household Hazardous Waste Collection Program will be held on a Saturday in September or October at the York County Solid Waste Authority‘s Management Center Parking Lot, 2700 Blackbridge Road.
Examples of Accepted Items:
- Auto Products
- Driveway Sealant
- Gasoline & Kerosene
- Herbicides, pesticides & insecticides
- Household batteries
- Household cleaners
- Photographic & pool chemicals
Examples of Unaccepted Items:
- Paint or paint-related products: latex and oil-based paint, paint thinners, varnish and paint strippers or removers. These items can be placed in your regular garbage for pick-up. Paint must be dried up. The process can be expedited by adding kitty litter or shredded newspaper to the can after drying. Seal the containers tightly. The Resource Recovery Center uses an air pollution control system to safely process these items.
- Aerosol Cans
- Propane Tanks
- Used Motor Oil
For a listing of York County Collection Centers accepting used motor oil for recycling, call the York County Solid Waste Authority at 845-1066. For questions about how to safely dispose of other items, request the Authority’s “Unprocessibles Brochure”
For more information about residential hazardous waste collection, please visit the York County Solid Waste Authority website.
Visit York County Solid Waste Authority Website
Electronics Recycling Program Resumes on April 5, 2016Download YCSWA Press Release (PDF)
For more information about recycling your electronics, please visit the York Count Solid Waste Authority website.
Visit York County Solid Waste Authority Website
Updated Electronics Recycling Hours (Sept.2017)
Commercial and Industrial Recycling
For more information about recycling commercial and industrial items, visit our e360 page at the link below.
Visit e360 Website for Commercial and Industrial Recycling